As Mother's Day is on the horizon, Maya give you her beauty tips on how to make home made beauty spa treatments.
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, I’ve also come up with some pampering ideas to really show your mother just how special she is.
Remember, it’s not about how much gifts cost - it’s the thought that counts. So instead of splashing money on pricey gifts, what better way to show your mother just how much she means to you than pampering her in the comfort of your very home with some of my homemade beauty spa treatments.
Using only kitchen-cupboard, and fruit-bowl ingredients you’ll be able to try as many beauty treatments as you want for pennies!
From head to toe here are my simple homemade beauty remedies that will leave you and your mother feeling relaxed, refreshed and reenergised this Mother’s Day.
Hello luscious locks
For strong, soft and silky locks, why not try this super easy hair mask, and say goodbye to those dry ends once and for all.
1. Mash the banana and avocado together well and comb the mixture through dry hair (wet hair doesn't absorb the nutrients that well)
2. Wrap the hair in a shower cap, or even a carrier bag will do and cover with a towel and leave on hair for 10 minutes.
3. Rinse well with cool water.
Bananas are packed with potassium and will soften hair almost instantly! As for those avocados, they contain moisturising fatty acids to help stimulate hair growth and rehydrate those horrible dry ends! To see the best results use this treatment every two weeks.
A very-berry sweet facial rub
As we enter Spring, the cold winter has left our complexion dried out, flakey and pale. So I’ve got the perfect recipe to give your skin an instant glow and feel re-energised with this berry facial rub.
1 tablespoon honey
1. Cut off the strawberry stems, and then chop strawberries into small pieces.
2. Mash the strawberries with a spoon until soft
3. Then slowly mix in the honey to create an even consistency.
4. Massage the mixture gently onto your face for about 3 minutes.
5. Rinse with warm water.
The enzymes in the strawberries make this recipe ideal for those with sensitive skin, while the tablespoon of honey helps rehydrate dry and oily skin. When the honey is combined with the antioxidants in the berries it produces a special antiseptic that helps to reduce breakouts.
Avocado seems to be huge right now, not only for the health benefits on the body, but also benefits for the skin. For all you avocado fans out there, I’ve got another homemade beauty remedy for you!
½ cup of plain yoghurt
¼ cup of honey
1. Mix together all the ingredients together until mushy and to an even consistency.
2. Apply the mixture evenly onto your face
3. Cover your face with a warm face cloth and leave for about 10 minutes to allow all the goodness to sink in.
4. Using the face cloth gently wipe off the mixture and then rinse with cool water
5. Use your regular daily moisturiser to finish
The oils in avocados are said to help balance the skin's moisture levels. The antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E also help to protect the skin.
Exfoliate, baking-soda style
A facial scrub like no other; it’s cost effective and does just the trick to remove dead skin cells, unblock clogged pores and the antiseptic baking soda properties beat away breakouts.
4 teaspoons of baking soda
1 tablespoon of water
1. Mix the baking soda and water to a thin paste and let it rest for about 2 minutes.
2. With your fingers, apply the paste in small, circular circles to your face and neck (avoiding the eye area)
3. After 3 minutes, rinse clean the paste off with warm water, followed by cold water to close up your pores.
4. Use your regular daily moisturiser to finish
With this facial you’ll be able to notice your pores are smaller immediately. The tiny granules of sodium bicarbonate are gentle enough for all skin types, although if you have dry/sensitive skin you should only use this facial every two weeks. If you’ve got normal/oily skin feel free to repeat on a weekly basis.
Eye see beauty
Banish tired, puffy-looking eyes, and brighten those dark circles with this brilliantly simple eye beauty treatment.
2x tea teabags (leave to soak in water)
1 raw potato (peeled, sliced and cooled in the fridge)
1. After soaking the teabags, squeeze out the excess water and lay them on your eyes for about 5-10 minutes.
OR Alternatively raw potatoes can work just as well to reduce puffiness and redness to the eye area.
1. Place the cold, peeled potato slices to the eye area and leave on for about 5-10 minutes.
The caffeine from the teabag helps to reduce the red appearance caused by the blood vessels, while the antioxidants help eliminate inflammation. Likewise the minerals in the potato also help to reduce the swelling.
A Cooling Facial
1 small handful of fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
1. Blend the parsley and yogurt together in a food processor until you get a smooth paste consistency.
2. Apply the yoghurt and parsley mixture generously to under your eyes.
3. After about 20 minutes rinse off the paste with warm water.
The yoghurt has a cooling and hydrating effect on the skin, while the parsley contains a skin clarifying herb and is rich in vitamin K which will help reduce blood flow to the eye area. Try this beauty treatment once a week and see the results for yourself!
Care For Your Hands
The weather may be beginning to pick up as we enter Spring, however the bitter cold winter mornings are very much still here, leaving our hands itchy, dry and chapped. Soothe your hands with an indulgent sugar & honey hand wrap.
½ a cup of olive oil
½ a cup of sugar
¼ a cup of honey
1. Mix olive oil and sugar to a form a even paste.
2. Massage the paste mixture into your hands in slow circular motions to lightly exfoliate, and then rinse with warm water.
3. Next warm the honey in the microwave (not too hot, just a warm temperature) and apply to your hands.
4. Then wrap your hands with plastic clingfilm and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Finally unwrap the clingfilm and rinse your hands.
The sugar works to buff away any dry or dead skin, while the olive oil is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids which protects hands and nails from damage. Try this beauty treatment and your hands will feel softer almost immediately!
A Toe-Tally Gorgeous Cornmeal & Banana Feet Treat
We’re always out and about, but we rarely give our feet that much needed TLC! Pamper your feet with this home beauty treatment for softer and smoother skin.
2 tablespoons of cornmeal
1 tablespoon of mashed up banana
1. Stir the cornmeal and mashed up banana together until you get an even consistency of wet sand.
2. Gently massage the paste all over, working it in through the toes and even the soles of your feet for about one minute, or until your skin feels soft.
3. Rinse off and feel just how soft your feet are!
The cornmeal helps to exfoliate the roughness, flakey skin as well as containing anti-fungal properties. The potassium in the banana will instantly soften your skin.
Scrub Your Feet To Perfection With A Listerine, Sugar & Vinegar Scrub
When I first heard Listerine was great for your feet I just had to try it out! Not only is it a great mouthwash, but this pamper recipe will leave your feet soft, smooth and sandal ready in just a few minutes.
2 cups of sugar
½ cup of white vinegar
½ cup of Listerine (the mint one will give your feet a tingle sensation, and the colour looks great too)
1. Mix the vinegar and Listerine together in a bowl.
2. Put the sugar into a small glass jar
3. Pour the vinegar and Listerine mixture over the sugar in the glass jar and stir until an even consistency is formed (this mixture can then be stored in the glass jar and used on a daily basis.)
4. Apply the mixture to your feet in exfoliating circle motions.
The thymol properties in the Listerine are great for killing bad bacteria and fungi, while the acid in the vinegar has antibacterial properties and also leaves skin softer. Sugar is an ideal exfoliant as it doesn't cause any irritation to the skin, unlike salt. For the best results use this foot scrub for less than a minute everyday.
So here are my ideas for how to pamper your mother in the comfort of your home this Mother’s Day. Which home beauty treatment will you try?
- Read more from me every fortnight, Maya x