Diwrnod yn hapus dewi sant!! To celebrate St Davids we've found the perfect Shropshire Welsh Rarebit recipe with a great twist!
As long as you use a nice strongish tasting cheese it will do the job, you can use Stilton or of course a nice extra matured Cheddar, any cheeses in that category that takes your fancy should be good.
You will need (Serves 2)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 15g butter
- 120g Shropshire Blue cheese - crumbled into pieces
- 50ml Stout
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 jacket potatoes - cooked
- salt to season
- 2 sliced spring onions and a few baby salad leaves for serving
How to make it
- In a small saucepan add the butter and melt over a low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or so - this is important or your sauce will taste floury.
- Now add the cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Melt the cheese over a low heat stirring all the while. Add a good pinch of black pepper and pour in the stout giving it all a good mix. Cook without letting it boil until the sauce is a nice consistency - you can add a little more stout if you need to.
- Cut a cross in the top of each jacket potato and open them up seasoning with a little salt.
- Top with the cheese mixture and pop under the grill for a couple of minutes, until golden-brown and bubbling on top. Sprinkle with the sliced spring onions and serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of : Lee and Perrins